Thursday, April 28, 2005

Trouble brewing at my alma mater

I was in graduate school at Indiana University when Bobby Knight was fired. A large number of students and community members complained quite vocally about this and staged a "riot." It was really sort of pathetic, after the fact, but rather disruptive at the time. I found myself wondering what, if anything, could rile up Rose-Hulman students in a similar way. Well, it looks like we've found something that can.

I have been reading the articles and forums at AboutMidgley.com after receiving an email from Claude Anderson, a former professor of mine whose judgment I respect. The message was sent to all the computer science alumni to let us know that the recent email from President Midgley was rather one-sided.

Apparently, there is a faculty meeting scheduled for next Tuesday to discuss a "no confidence" motion. There is a lot of dissatisfaction with the president's actions and attitude.

The students are actually planning a rally for tomorrow. I know something is serious if the students are doing more than just complaining online. Oddly enough, I would have been going to campus tomorrow if I had decided to attend the Computer Science advisory committee meeting. Living where I do now, I find it rather difficult to actually attend those meetings now. Of course, had I gone to the meeting, I wouldn't have actually been at the rally anyway, but at least I would have been able to get a first-hand account of what is going on at Rose these days.

No comments: