Friday, November 11, 2005

The Geek Gorgeous Calendar

Have you heard about this calendar of women in technology? I'm having some mixed feelings about it. I liked the idea of showing technical people as something other than the stereotypical socially inept nerd with glasses and poor hygiene habits, but these pictures aren't giving a realistic image of geeky women, either. I think I would be rather offended to see one of these scantily clad ladies as the desktop wallpaper of a coworker, even if she is a rocket scientist or computer programmer. On the other hand, I've never really seen the appeal of these sort of photos. I find proper clothing to be much more attractive. It is possible that at some point during the month the calendar's owner will stop looking at the model's breasts for a few minutes, read the information about her, and begin to form a different opinion of women in the sciences. I'm not counting on it though.

While some of the models are undeniably technical, others seemed a little lightweight. Photoshop expert? What? Maybe I've been in the academic and technical world too long, but I don't really think just using a computer really makes you geeky.

No comments: