Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday Scribbling - "With Baggage"

This is my first time responding to a writing prompt from Sunday Scribblings.

As we worked on putting our house in order yesterday, I came to realize that my husband and I have a lot of baggage. I'm not talking about figurative baggage of past relationships or unresolved issues, I mean we have a lot of bags. We have a box just labeled "Bags" holding tote bags, backpacks, purses, and bookbags. I have trouble getting rid of bags like that, since you never know when you might need to carry something. Perhaps I have a bit of figurative baggage about my literal baggage.

Moving from one house to another reveals just how much stuff we keep around us all the time. I've been trying to get rid of some of my junk, but I find that I start to get "sentimental value" confused with "used to it being there" and resist letting go of things that don't really matter after all.

I emptied my carry-on bag from last week's trip and deliberately left a few things in there. (A pen, a pack of tissues, and a travel bottle of saline for my contacts.) I don't really need those particular items in my normal life, but they are small and would be useful while traveling. I suppose some of these unpacked boxes of stuff were kept with similar reasoning. "It could be useful."

I think I'll go deal with another box now.

Categories: , ,

2 comments:

Ian russell said...

you got to let it go, squeaky!

i was born a hoarder, now i'm minimalist. travel light, travel right. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Squeaky, check out flylady.net for info about letting go of excess "stuff" or type discardia into a search engine, for more inspirational letting go info!