Friday, July 22, 2005

Net work accomplished = 0

I came into work this morning with a plan. I had a great idea of something to do to my code that would improve it, and be small enough to complete in one day. (Always good for a task started on a Friday.)
  • Once I was actually in the code, I realized that...
  • my clever idea really only amounted to caching a very lightweight object instead of creating a new one from scratch each time which...
  • might cause a slight improvement in performance, but...
  • making this change would be a bigger hassle I originally thought and...
  • I doubt this class would be the bottleneck anyway.
So, I undid the changes and made a note of the idea in my thoughts file. (I keep a plain text file under version control with my code to right notes to my future self. Sometimes I come back to it and think "Neat idea!" or "That's a good point to remember", but other times I just read it and wonder "What was she thinking? That'll never work!")

The workday is over now, I'm going home (or possibly out to happy hour with my husband and some linguistics students.)

No comments: